Thursday, September 3, 2009

Analog Science Fiction and Fact May 1999




Major part is this issue is taken by a serial, The Quantum Rose by Catherine Asaro. I haven't read it yet, but it is Nebula winner, so I probably will at least look if it is something I would like. (after reading some reviews from librarything: doesn't look like my cup of tea, but I will try anyway. If I will read it, I will review it in another post. ) Only three stories, none exceptional.

Smoking Gun • shortstory by Mark Rich
A professor is found in his room lying in a pool of blood with a gun beside him. Just a moment later he disappears. What happened? It is a pity that what really happened is something fairly stupid and hard to believe. And if the guy had
invented what he did, why in earth make it in form of a gun? Yeah, there is an explanation. But it is extremely bad and stupid one. **
The Vaults of Permian Love • novelette by Bill Johnson
An scientist experiments on herself and alters some of her DNA with surprising results. Fairly good story, but depends on several extremely unlikely coincidences. ***
Red Sky at Morning • novella by Ben Bova
Second story of second Mars expedition. Not much happens – a storm is rising, but that is noticed after about half of the pages have been used mainly for doing nothing special. Pretty boring story, I lost my interest after about 15 pages, but I read the whole thing, anyway. Would have better with some condensing. **

No comments: